Attention students or those looking to gain experience in the field of refugee studies and forced migration. Romero House, based in Toronto, is offering paid internships, including housing, food, medical insurance and a stipend of $200/month for spending. This is a great opportunity to experience Toronto, gain work experience and assist refugees.
International and Canadian applicants are welcome to apply, but international applicants must be aware that they will need to apply for a Canadian visa if selected to be an intern.
Romero House is a Christian Based Organization with its foundations in the Catholic tradition. They do not require our participants to be of the same faith.
About the Internship
Romero House Interns and part-time volunteers will not be involved in religious proselytising. Romero House serves political refugees in Toronto, Canada, in an atmosphere of respect and in a spirit of mutual assistance.
Romero House provides transitional housing and assistance to refugees; connecting refugess with a lawyer and assisting with refugee claimant papers; helping to complete immigration medicals; finding literacy tutors; enrolling in English classes, neighbourhood schools and day care; obtaining work permits and access to appropriate social services; registering at the community health clinic; accompanying and translating as needed.
- 6-7 Interns are required each year.
- Interns must speak English with proficiency in other languages an asset.
- Internships run 11 months from September-July and 4 months from May-August.
- Interns are given room and board, medical insurance and a stipend of $200/month.
- Please visit their website to obtain more details on the internship program.
1) Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with a 300-word statement indicating why you are interested in the Internship Program. Please state clearly if you are interested in the full year internship or the summer internship. An application will be forwarded to you.
2) Complete the application, which includes questionnaires to be completed by 3 references.
3) A short list of applicants will be interviewed. Interviews will be completed in person whenever possible.
Applications Are Now Being Received for 2013
Full year internship (September-July): Deadline is January 2013. A select number of candidates will be interviewed in February/March and the final decision will be made in March/April. Applications may be accepted after the official deadline, please contact email@example.com for more details.
Summer internship (May-August): Deadline is January 2013. A select number of candidates will be interviewed in February/March and final decisions will be made at the end of March.
Applications may be accepted at other times but we cannot guarantee openings.
Interns coming from countries which require a visa must begin the process as soon as possible as it can take several months. We cannot guarantee that a visa will be granted.
- London Internships at Chatham House (International Relations)
- Internships with the Organization for Asylum, Migration & Refuge
- Volunteer Internships with AMERA in Egypt
- PAID IOM International Internship: Migration, Policy, Health and Counter-Trafficking
- Paid Job Opportunity – Teaching Assistant, Module: Immigration and American Society